Iran says the notorious anti-Iran terrorist group, the Mujahedin Khalq Organization (MKO), is behind the “baseless and unfounded” plot against an Iranian diplomat arrested over allegations of involvement in a bomb attack in France.
Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said on Tuesday that the allegations about the involvement of an Iranian diplomat in the suspected bomb attack on an MKO meeting in Paris were designed at the current sensitive and important juncture to damage Iran-Europe relations.
He added that the MKO designed and implemented another scenario against the Islamic Republic after the terrorist group failed to win political support for its anti-human and anti-Iran goals during its annual session in Paris and simultaneous with the “successful” ongoing visit by Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to two European countries.
The Iranian spokesperson emphasized that the terror group sought to jeopardize President Rouhani’s two-nation European tour and to undermine the Islamic Republic’s position in the public opinion.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran, as it has repeatedly announced, condemns and rejects any act of violence and terrorist move in any part of the world and in all its forms,” Qassemi pointed out.
There is evidence that the suspects arrested in Belgium are among the members of the MKO terror group, he said, expressing Iran’s readiness to work to clarify the real aspects of the pre-planned scenario by providing necessary documents.
Belgian authorities said on Monday that the Iranian diplomat had been arrested along with a 38-year-old man and a 33-year-old woman, suspected of plotting a bomb attack on the MKO meeting in Paris attended by US President Donald Trump’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, and several former European and Arab ministers.
They added that Belgian police intercepted the two suspects in Belgium on Saturday with 500 grams of the homemade explosive TATP and a detonation device found in their car.
The diplomat, 46-year-old Assadollah A, was arrested in Germany, suspected of having been in contact with the two arrested in Belgium.
Three other people were also arrested in France in connection with the case, two of whom were released.
Iran’s Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif denied any Iranian involvement in any plot to blow up the MKO meeting and said on Monday the arrests constitute a “sinister false flag ploy.”
Taking to his official Twitter account, Zarif said, “How convenient: Just as we embark on a presidential visit to Europe, an alleged Iranian operation and its ‘plotters’ arrested.”
The top Iranian diplomat emphasized that the Islamic Republic “unequivocally condemns all violence and terror anywhere, and is ready to work with all concerned to uncover what is a sinister false flag ploy.”
Heading a high-ranking politico-economic delegation, President Rouhani arrived in Zurich, Switzerland, on Monday and held talks and attended a joint press conference with his Swiss counterpart, Alain Berset, on Tuesday.
The Iranian president plans to leave Bern for Vienna later on Tuesday to meet Austrian President Alexander Van der Bellen and Chancellor Sebastian Kurz.